What do a small workforce management business in Oakbrook Terrace, a Downers Grove-based construction company and a large Chicago law firm have in common?
Workers at all three are fully engaged with their employers thanks to a combination of open and collaborative management, generous benefit packages and additional perks that earned the companies top honors in the 12th annual Best Places to Work in Illinois awards.
2018 Best Places to Work in IllinoisSMALL COMPANIES (19-99 EMPLOYEES)1. The Salem Group, Oakbrook Terrace
2. Radio Flyer, Chicago
3. Synergy Builders, Inc., W. Chicago
4. Talman Consultants, LLC, Chicago
5. Geneca, Oak Brook
6. MotherG, Itasca
7. Balasa Dinverno Foltz LLC, Itasca
8. GForce Employment Professionals, Chicago
9. KRD -- Kutchins Robbins & Diamond, Ltd. -- CPAs, Schaumburg
10. Optimal Design Co., Arlington Heights
11. Adage Technologies, Chicago
12. American Bottoms, Sauget
13. Meeting Tomorrow, Chicago
14. Common Sense Solutions, Lombard
15. Mueller, Elgin
16. Lipschultz, Levin & Gray, LLC, Northbrook
17. Tiger Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, & Electrical Services, Collinsville
18. Weiss and Company LLP, Glenview
19. Merit Solutions, Wheaton
20. Resource Brokerage, LLC, Schaumburg
21. Lextech Global Services, Downers Grove
22. Sterling Federal Bank, Sterling
23. 3Points, LLC, Oak Brook
24. Systemax, Springfield
25. The Mx Group, Burr Ridge
26. TradeTec Skyline, Lombard
27. CDH, P.C., Itasca
28. Cristaux International, Chicago
29. Loberg Construction, Palatine
30. MichaelSilver, Skokie
MEDIUM COMPANIES (100-499 EMPLOYEES)1. ARCO/Murray National Construction, Downers Grove
2. Skender Construction, Chicago
3. Assurance, Schaumburg
4. University of Illinois Community Credit Union, Champaign
5. MassMutual Midwest, Peoria
6. Solstice, Chicago
7. CompTIA, Downers Grove
8. LaSalle Network, Chicago
9. Clarity Insights, Chicago
10. Hanson Professional Services Inc., Springfield
11. Porte Brown LLC, Elk Grove Village
12. Proven IT, Tinley Park
13. McShane Construction Company, Rosemont
14. Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, Downers Grove
15. StratEx, Chicago
16. EMKAY Inc., Itasca
17. Omron Automation- Americas, Hoffman Estates
18. IPMG, St. Charles
19. Domino Amjet, Inc., Gurnee
20. Wiley Education Services, Oak Brook
21. ESS Clean, Inc.
22. CSC Corptax, Deerfield
23. Redwood Logistics, Chicago
24. OSG USA, Inc., Bensenville
LARGE COMPANIES (500-PLUS EMPLOYEES)1. Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, Chicago
2. Pariveda Solutions, Chicago
3. Pure Storage,
4. Edward Jones, St. Louis, Mo.
5. Insperity, Rosemont
6. Ryan, LLC, Downers Grove
7. Lockton Companies, LLC, Chicago
8. Amobee, Chicago
9. First Merchants Bank, Muncie, Ind.
10. Goldberg Segalla, Chicago
11. Crowe Horwath LLP, Chicago
12. Rittal North America LLC, Schaumburg
13. Total Quality Logistics, Chicago
14. Burns & McDonnell, Chicago
15. Sikich LLP, Naperville
16. Diageo, Plainfield
17. Next College Student Athlete, Chicago
18. NFA, Chicago
19. Advocate Health Care, Downers Grove
20. First Busey Corporation, Champaign
21. Littelfuse, Inc., Chicago
The annual Best Places to Work in Illinois is a combination survey, study and awards ceremony established to identify the top places of employment in Illinois. The statewide competition is sponsored by the Daily Herald Business Ledger, in partnership with the Illinois Chamber and Commerce, MRA - The Management Associations, the Human Resources Management Association of Chicago, and the Small Business Advocacy Council.
The two-part selection process conducted by Best Companies Group of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, involves an evaluation of the nominated company's workplace policies, practices and demographics, as well as an employee survey to measure workers' experiences.
This year, 75 companies were honored at an award ceremony held Thursday evening at Abbington Distinctive Banquets in Glen Ellyn.
In congratulating the winners, Best Companies Group President Peter Burke said the businesses enjoyed a 91 percent employee engagement rate, well above the national average of 41 percent.
"You have successfully created an environment where employees love to come to work," Burke said. "And you want to know how we know that? Your employees told us so."
The No. 1 company in the small employer category (19-99 employees) is The Salem Group, an Oakbrook Terrace-based strategic staffing and workforce management company. Salem, a certified Woman-Owned Business Enterprise, provides world-class staff augmentation, strategic workforce solutions, web-enabled contingent/regular workforce procurement and management applications to better manage service delivery and talent supply chains.
Salem was founded more than 35 years ago in Chicago. Continuity of proven leadership is critical; the same executive team that founded the company continues to lead it today. From Salem's origin as a single office in the Loop, the company has become one of the fastest-growing staffing firms in Chicago and beyond.
"It is not every day you are walking into an organization and are confident that their well-being, their growth, their happiness and their sense of worth is valued as a necessity to propel the organization forward," said Breeana Kelly-Slatten, business development manager. "I have never been more proud or passionate to introduce myself on behalf on an organization that does just that."
The top company in the medium employer category (100-499 employees) is ARCO/Murray National Construction Company in Downers Grove. The company has continued to grow by having relatively few clients and providing them with turnkey design and construction services on a national basis.
The company's collaborative culture integrates experts, across all critical disciplines, to deliver a single superior solution. It hires only the best from the top schools and makes a significant investment in training to keep its staff on the leading edge of industry trends and best practices. Engagement is important, so ARCO/Murray has an all-company event that allows all levels to work and play together, like 3-on-3 basketball, "Minute to Win It," movie outings, baseball games and holiday parties.
"We work in a very high-risk environment that oftentimes is very stressful for our employees," said Josh Przyborowski, director of business development for ARCO/Murray."So it's really important for us to develop and encourage an environment that is fun to participate in."
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLC of Chicago is the winning large employer (500-plus employees) for the third consecutive year. The full service, global 100 law firm has more than 760 attorneys.
Since 1927, companies have turned to Sheppard Mullin to handle corporate and technological matters, high-stakes litigation and complex financial transactions. They offer monthly paid public transportation to their employees, along with longevity and profit-sharing bonuses, 100 paid medical premium, on-site fitness center and personal development and stress management workshops.
"It's amazing how committed we are to engagement to culture, to diversity, to inclusion to collaboration and fulfillment, and on top it's one of the best places to work in the state," said Larry Eppley, Chicago office managing partner.
Highlights of the winning companies will be featured in the June issue of the Daily Herald Business Ledger, which publishes on June 18.