PALATINE -- Mikes Bikes in Palatine is celebrating its 60th anniversary serving the Palatine community.
When Fred Mikes' opened his small bike shop in 1959. the community was only 11,000 people. The building at 36 W. Wilson became available which included an upstairs apartment perfect for his family and more space for the growing business. It was just in time for the bike boom. A shortage of gas from an oil embargo altered consumer's opinions to be more free of cars and gas. Just as the community has grown so has Mikes Bike Shop. Fred's golden business rule was treat customers like YOU would be like to be treated. By 1964, it became time to move to a larger location.
As Mikes Bike shop flourished, Fred's family settled into the community. His youngest son Wayne attended Sanborn and Palatine High schools. Fred became a member of the West Suburban Bike Association. Following Wayne's graduation from college it was time to choose his path, and in 1979 Wayne purchased Mikes Bike Shop.
As a new, young entrepreneur Wayne set a simple goal to grow his family business. This was a time when businesses were opening along Northwest Highway. A small property was available which was an old house with an attached cheese and candies shop. The perfect location for the Mikes Bike Shop plan.
Wayne purchased the current property on Northwest Highway and opened the new location in 1987. Wayne's business boomed and he found himself hiring more employees to help customers.
His family grew also. Wayne's son, Matt, grew up in the family business since 1998 and will be the third generation to drive Mikes Bike.